Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the Aptil 2020 meeting has been cancelled. Our speaker for the celebration of National Poetry Month will be rescheduled to a later date. Watch our Facebook page, the newsletter, your email inbox, and the website for more information. The Unity Center, where we hold our meetings, is closed until May 16th. We are currently evaluating our May meeting time and place to see if we will meet and if we do, where that meeting will take place. Keep watch for further updates.
Greetings, Fellow Writers!
Well Versed 2020 deadline for submissions in the fiction, non-fiction and poetry genres is ON ITS WAY! We are looking forward to reading your submissions. Please read below for important information regarding submission guidelines and rules.
We are looking for stories, essays and poems that bring subjects to life with well-developed characters, compelling voices, and carefully chosen details.
All entries must be received via 2020 Well Versed Submission Form by 11:59 CST on January 31, 2020. You will need to use a Google account to fill out the form. I hoped for a workaround but could not find one. You can create a free account here.
Entry Fees for members are included with paid membership. For nonmembers, entries are priced below. Nonmembers can visit https://ccmwg.org/product-category/well-versed/ to pay by PayPal or Credit Card.
- Each prose (fiction/non-fiction) entry = $15 (max of 2)
- Poetry bundle (3 poems) entry = $15 (max of 1)
- Submissions must be unpublished at the time of submission. They can however be published elsewhere after they have been published in Well Versed 2020.
- DO NOT put your name or contact information on your document/manuscript. Failure to follow this rule will disqualify your submission.
- Submissions that demean people or groups of people based on appearance, gender, sexual orientation, beliefs, practices, politics or any other category or generalization will be disqualified.
- Submissions that include graphic or gratuitous violence/sexual content will be disqualified.
- Please proofread your work. Consider finding a professional editor to help you.
Prose (Fiction/Non-Fiction) Guidelines
- Prose (fiction/non-fiction) categories are limited to 2 submissions per person. Please format your entry according to the provisions below.
- Maximum length of submissions is 2000 words.
- Single spaced (no line between paragraphs)
- First line indent set to .3 (not spaces)
- No page numbers
- No headers or footers
- Times New Roman 12 point font
- Standard document margins (1”)
- Left justify paragraphs
- One space after end of sentences
- Author’s name and contact information must NOT appear on the manuscript
- Poetry is limited to 3 submissions per person.
- Poetry may be in any style.
- Poems are limited to 50 lines.
- Lines should be single-spaced, with a double-space between verses. NOTE: a line width in the book is approximately 4.3 inches. If a line of your poem is wider than 4.3 inches in a 12 point font, it will be wrapped to the next line and may not appear as you expected.
- Each poem entered in a separate form
- Author’s name and contact information must NOT appear on the poems
Flash fiction finalists are those chosen by the guild during our Summer Flash Fiction Challenge running from June-September 2019. PLEASE NOTE: There is a new rule for flash fiction finalists for 2020. If you are a finalist from our contests and wish to withdraw your work from publication in Well Versed in order to publish elsewhere, you will also agree to withdraw that same work from final judging.
By submitting to Well Versed 2020, you give permission for your story to be published unless you submit a withdrawal, in writing, by February 5,2020. CCMWG purchases first rights. If your submission is chosen, payment upon publication is one copy of the issue in which the work appears, plus $1.00 per piece accepted.
Thank you in advance for participating in Well Versed 2020!